Rawhide bones and treats can bring our dogs so much joy. They can chew on them for hours! Surely something that is so widely used and marketed can’t be harmful, right?
Rawhide is dangerous and unhealthy on so many levels. Basically, rawhide is a chemically treated leather by-product. An online article from Dogs Naturally Magazine breaks down the process of how rawhide treats are made:
- Cattle hides are shipped from slaughterhouses to tanneries. They are chemically treated to preserve them during shipment.
- The tannery treats the hides with an ash-lye solution or sodium sulphide liming to strip the hairs and fat from the hide.
- Next is another chemical treatment to help split layers. The outer layer is then used for leather products like seats, and the inner portion is used for rawhide.
- Then comes a hydrogen peroxide or bleach to whiten.
- Then they are often given artificial colors and flavors to create the final product.
- When everything is said and done, here is what has been detected in rawhides when tested: lead, arsenic, mercury, chromium salts, formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals.
Eeek, nasty stuff! It’s no wonder that rawhide can cause irritation in a dog’s stomach and intestines. Not only that, if a dog swallows a large chunk of rawhide, it can become lodged in its digestive tract. Rawhide is not something a dog’s body can properly digest, so large pieces can’t be broken down once they are swallowed.
For those reasons, we don’t give our dogs rawhide. Yet, dogs still love to chew, and they need a healthy option to satisfy their chewing needs. Let me introduce you to Life’s Abundance Porky Puffs.
Here’s the list of ingredients:
1. Pig nose
That’s it. One ingredient.
You will also not find any harsh preservatives in the Porky Puffs and no artificial flavors and colors. This treat is a MUCH safer and healthier alternative to rawhide! Without the harmful chemicals, it’s much gentler of their system. Your dog can happily chew without you having to worry about what they are consuming.
I tried giving one to the puppies, and they loved it! However, Mia sneaked into their pen and stole it. For the next couple of days, I found it hidden in various places around the house until she finally finished it off. 🙂
If you have a dog that likes to chew and you are interested in finding a healthy, satisfying treat for him, give Porky Puffs a try!
Interested in ordering? If you are interested in ordering, please order from our Life’s Abundance site. When ordering through our page, you should see Kristen’s Happy Tails listed at the top of the page as the Field Rep. If I am not listed as your representative, please mention my ID number when you place your first order 20552921. As your representative, I am able to help you determine what products are right for your pet and answer any questions you may have.